What do I need to know before requesting an Apostille?
Before you approach a Competent Authority about getting an Apostille, you should consider questions such as:
- Does the Apostille Convention apply in both
The country that issued the public document and the country where I intend to use it?
- If the country that issued the public document has designated several Competent Authorities, which one is the relevant Competent Authority to issue an Apostille for my public document?
- Can I get an Apostille for my public document, e.,
Is my document considered a public document under the law of the country where it was issued?
- Can I request an Apostille by mail or must I appear
In person? This is particularly relevant if you are living in a country other than the country that issued your public document.
- If I have multiple documents, will I need multiple Apostilles?
- Are there other documents (in addition to the public document) or additional information that I need to provide to get an Apostille (e.g., a document
Establishing my identity or a stamped envelope in the case of requests by mail)?
- How much does an Apostille cost and what forms of payment are available?
How long will it take to get the Apostille?